Yesterday we went to the Accra Cultural Center, which is where they sell lots of handmade art, jewelry, etc. Our group has an established contact with one of the older shopkeepers there, Mr. Abu, who one of our groups is working with again this year on business development. We broke into groups to tour the place and he had some of his shop helpers go with each group to help us bargain, which was good because the sellers are pretty pushy. In markets in Ghana, it is assumed that the price will be bargained, so the sellers start high, and the buyer is supposed to start at 1/3 of that. I think I got some good deals, (I got a beautiful painting for 50 cedis, which is about $27 U.S. dollars!), but they also told us that if we write down the shop number and the item we want, they will go back and bargain for us. I thought that was pretty cool. Then last night we went to an African Fashion show at the Dubois center, which had designers from several different African countries. We were shocked when the show started off with oiled male models in only ripped, cutoff jean shorts parading the flags of each country!
Today we went to the East Region to visit the Aburi Gardens, which were originally kept by colonial rulers and then Kwame Nkrumah and other political figures as an escape from the city (they said similar to Camp David but not military). It was up in the mountains a little bit, and the drive and the grounds were beautiful. A lot of different spice and medicinal plants grow there. I got some cool pictures of a hollow tree, and we had another traditional Ghanaian lunch, with french fries. On the drive back we passed Rita Marley's house and recording studio, (Bob Marley's wife), whose presence has brought a small Jamaican population to Ghana. Tonight we are going to a jazz club, which I'm excited for! Tomorrow is our agency orientation, where we will meet the people we are working with and get a chance to discuss our workshops a little bit so we can make any needed modifications. I'm a little nervous, but I think it will also give me a much better idea of the feel of our service week.
No comments:
Post a Comment