Monday, July 9, 2012

Day Fourteen


So we've had a bit less busy of a weekend, but a couple things worth mentioning. Yesterday we went back to the Cultural Center (outdoor market with handmade cultural goods). We had been once before, but this time was much more overwhelming, with the shopkeepers constantly bombarding us and even following us around trying to get us to buy their items. There are some really cool things there--masks, fabrics, jewelry, etc--but after a while the pestering gets so frustrating you hardly want to buy anything at all! I think I made a few good purchases, but  was glad to hear we'll have another chance to go back before the trip ends. At the the market (and several places here) the prices are not fixed, and the sellers expect you to bargain so they start with a higher price. We were advised to start our bargaining at 1/3 of the price they offered! Anyhow, my bargaining skills are definitely improving. Afterwards we had lunch at the mall (I had a rare delight--a sandwich--with avocado and yes, feta cheese!). Then we went back to the hotel for some rest. I woke up from a nap to the rain, which was nice. It hasn't really rained more than an occasional sprinkle since we've been here, even though they told us it is the rainy season. Then last night we went out dancing not far from the hotel. They played some old school hip hop at first which was fun, but then it was mostly Ghanaian music. There style of dancing is a bit different here as well, much more animated! 

This morning we had the option of waking up early and going to church. The country is very religious, as our Ghanaian group leader Kwame told us, "the African is inherently religious". The majority of the population is Christian with a large Muslim minority and then some traditionalists. However, there is traditional influence in all religious practices, and Kwame said it really is a way of life, so even though the Christians and the Muslims formally reject the traditional religion, they still practice it as a lifestyle. We could go to either a Pentecostal church or a Catholic church, and I chose the Pentecostal church because I had never been to one before and I thought it might have more traditional African influence. While the church was filled with bright-colored traditional wear, it turns out there was more dancing at the Catholic church! And a couple people who had grown up going to Pentecostal churches said it was very similar to the U.S. version. We caught the end of the first service, which was in English and attracted younger crowd. Then we stayed for the second service, which was in both Twi and Ewe. I enjoyed the service, but if we have another chance I would like to go to the Catholic church because it is more similar to the Orthodox church so I think the differences would be easier for me to identify.

The rest of the day was pretty much final preparations for the projects, which start tomorrow! I'm both excited and nervous...hopefully everything will go well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment