Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Personal culture

My culture has been largely shaped by upbringing and education.  My mother has always been a strong role model for me, someone who is passionate and loving and compassionate and willing to speak her mind and fight for what she cares about. When I was younger this sometimes embarrassed me. Whether it was asserting herself to my teachers when she thought there was the slightest issue at school, arguing her politics with family and friends, or rolling down the car window to tell kid in the car next to us to think twice about throwing trash out the window  because, “we all share this community,” her voice was heard. As I have gotten older, however, I’ve realized that this has largely influenced me, in what I believe is a positive way. Not only am I more likely to speak my mind and strive for what I want, but I think her strong influence is part of the reason I am a feminist.  A lot of people today immediately reject the term, or when I say I’m interested in gender inequality are relieved to hear me also mention the term ‘global’ because that’s something they can support—fixing other people’s problems. While I am interested in gender inequality on a global scale, and do believe there are more extreme measures of it in other areas of the world, I believe recognizing it in our own society is also important. Any kind of inequality is not going to go away if we pretend it doesn’t exist.  The global aspect of my feminism brings me to another thing that defines my culture, an interest in learning about the world, and different cultures and peoples.  I attended an elementary school that I now refer to as “the hippie school” where we learned more about environmentalist issues than math, but also there was a strong emphasis on learning about other cultures. I got to participate in Global Elementary Model United Nations and still remember not only drawing pictures of the Guatemalan flag, but reading about the human rights violations that were a commonality in the country. Though learning about these things can make you feel distant and helpless, it can also challenge you to get involved, and support something with meaning. I’m not quite sure how to label it, but another part of my culture is caring about these issues, and wanting to be involved in change.  Lastly, family and food are a large part of my culture, and for me the two are largely intertwined. I have a tight-knit Greek-American family and for us “family gathering” and “meal” are almost always synonymous. My family has a strong presence in my life and having their constant love and support bolsters me in developing the other areas of my culture.
All of these things influenced my decision to apply for the Ghana Maymester. I am looking forward to learn about the geography, culture, and people of an area of the world I know little about. I am also eager to learn about non-profits, how they work, and their influence on a community. And of course, to actually be involved in a project for social change and development in the area of women’s empowerment, where I hope to continue to be involved in the future.

4 comments:

  1. Danielle,

    I can see how your mother has had such a strong influence on you. My mother used to be the same way. I would be so embarrassed when she began to argue with customer service or one of my teachers. I remember giving her this look and saying, "mom." She ignored me most of the time and said, "I am not going to stay quiet when I do not agree with what they are doing." It took me a while to understand why my mother was so outspoken. She told us that growing up and even as an adult she always remained quiet when others insulted her or spoke bad about her. After many years she grew tired and broke that silence. She began to speak up not only for herself but for those she cared for. My mother always had a great influence on me as well. I had always been somewhat shy so I rarely spoke up for myself. However, I learned from my mother that you always have to speak up because your voice and opinions also need to be heard.

    I look forward to working with you throughout the semester. Thanks for sharing your culture with us.

    Carolina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing also Carolina! I really admire how your mom realized she wanted to live a different way and then made the changes in order to make herself happier. I believe I can still learn a lot from my mom and it's neat to hear that someone else had a similar experience.
      Looking forward to working with you too.
      Danielle

      Delete
  2. When reading your blog I see that you mother is a influential part of your life.. My mother was and still is to this day. She has always made it clear to me that education is the way to go and applied those moral in my life to work har . My mom is a teacher so I complelty understand were you are coming from with the embarissing moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing too Deaires! Hearing about others that have had similar positive influences from their moms is really cool. Looking forward to working with you this semester.
      Danielle

      Delete